August 26, 2008

Going skiing in Chamonix?



Winter 2007/2008 Russian knitting society was hit by an urge of Chamonix. No, not the famous skiing resort in French Alpes but a sweater. First appeared at the runway its modifications were everywhere, all the repectable knitting magazines proposed their own versions.

I could not ignore this very interesting model and also bought alpaca yarn specifically for it. I decided to go after the original model from a fashion show but the picture was barely enough to go on my own. I am very thankful to girls from osinka.ru, a Russian hobby site who have already knitted it and shared their experience.

Despite all these precautions it was not going smoothly. I remade it 3 times almost completely untill I understood the trick- the upper part should be very large, at least 20 sm large than the diameter of the shoulders (in my case 120 cm versus 100). That will allow it later to sit well even if you raise your arms. My first version, made wrongly smaller, the sweater followed the arms with every up-movement, going almost up to the neck.

Otherwise it is a very easy model. By the time I almost finished it Gedifra published their variant, also very close to the runway one, and the upper part is considerably larger, like in mine.






No comments: