July 27, 2010

Xmas 2008. Part 3. Crystal decoration for IKEA chandelier “Sounds of Crystal”


I have been always fascinated by the beauty of crystals. Yet a crystal chandelier costs a little fortune.
We have had this nice and inexpensive chandelier from IKEA for many years and I thought it was time for its make-over.
This chandelier has got actually two of them.
The first one was made of glass beads and plastic prisms from Xmas decoration from Indiska, a local shop.
The second was made after I found a great source- local ebay, namely, Tradera and bought several kilos of different crystals from old chandeliers, sold by one antique shop.

1. Chandelier Version 2008.
Supplies: plastic prisms, steel wire, matching beads.
1. First I prepared the beads. I cut many small pieces of wires and mounted the beads on them.

2. Then I made rings for the chain, I used a knitting needle, 8 mm and just bend the wire around it. Then I cut straight along and got a lot of rings of the same size. I mounted them into chains.

3. For the five branches of the chandelier I made separate decorations with larger prisms.



2. Chandelier Version 2009

Supplies: crystals from old chandeliers, steel wire

One more make over was done September 2009, this time with real crystals. Here how it looks now

No comments: