September 24, 2009

Bookmark “Italian traffic light”












Every September millions of school children and students start their new academic year. At my favourite site we organized a lace competition “School start”. Works sent to this competition could be done in any of lace techniques, and should be connected to the world of studies/school.

My choice was to make a book mark in tatting (frivolité) with beads. In Russian lace making there is a technique called ANKARS, which appeared rather recently. I had a wonderful book by Rina Stepnaja. Tatting in Ankars Technique (http://www.labirint-shop.ru/books/156305/ ) and wanted to practice in making this unusual very beautiful lace.

When I chose the colours I was thinking of bright fall colours: red, yellow, green. Later when I was done (rather successfully) with the project I needed to choose a name for it too, and then I suddenly remembered our trip to Rome, some years before. The most impressive thing I saw there (besides the tiny cars) was their traffic lights. The upper, red light was at least 2-3 times larger than the others, yellow and green. Approximately like in the picture here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acampada/1102958493/

We read in the travel guides before the visit to Italy that there are only two kinds of pedestrians there: the quick and the dead. We tried to be the former ones and I guess the huge red lights were meant to help us with this. Yet I should say they did not really work, cars were moving no matter what light was on.

So my little bookmark has disproportional 2-head red “light” and “normal” others.

More about ANKARS technique and books you can find at this page:
http://www.beadsky.com/make_gallery_ankars.php?ln=en






No comments: