August 12, 2010

“We Are Warm" sleeping bag and a baby hat.


Last year we were blessed with a wonderful girl in our family and since then I mostly make baby projects.

Among the first big ones were a sleeping bag and a hat for her.

Winter 2009/2010 turned to be really cold and although Sweden is not directly a warm country it was a bit harsh for Stockholm area. That led to a fact that very quickly all the warmest (actually all other, too) sleeping bags for babies were sold in the shops.

We needed a bag that is good for both pusher and a car seat, i.m. with openings for the car belt.

I bought very chunky wool yarn “Giant” (Ca 90m/100 g) and started to browse through many magazines. I could not find any design I really liked so I made my own. I used a pattern of a sewn bag from a Swedish magazine, yet omitted the hood. Instead I knitted a hat from Drops Designs.

The lining has two layers, one very thick fleece (bye-bye my cosy blanket) and a 100% cotton stretch fabric for the soft contact with the baby skin. The hat has only stretch fabric lining.

The lengths of the bag and the sleeves are regulated by cords I sewn in.

No comments: