November 15, 2011

Baby carrier



Time goes fast, babies grow even faster. My little 3.5 kg girl suddenly became almost 10 kg in just 10 months. So it became rather difficult to carry her around. While she insisted on being picked up and carried all the time.

I decided to try to sew a baby carrier, a modified version of ergonomic carries from baby shops that are sold at 120 -150 Euros price.
http://www.ergobabycarriers.com/babycarriers/category/carrier/


I found a great tutorial, here it is and I am very grateful to its author.
http://www.make-baby-stuff.com/mei-tai-carrier.html


I bought (again :o) bargain) the last piece of a beautiful robust cotton and a simpler and thinner textile for the lining. For padding I cut some pieces from our fleece table protection, became very comfortable padding for straps. Then an old back sack that we do not use any more gave me the lock and the black non-elastic straps for the lock.

I also decorated the back of the carrier with the help of some glitter and volume paints and a template.


It turned out to be a very great carrier! But there was a little problem- the baby refused to be in it for more than 10 minutes in a row.


This carrier allows mostly the position face-to –face and did not allow her to look forward. The curious cutie could not agree to that. So we used it quite few times, for airports, for example or somewhere else where strollers or crawling/walking was not really an option. I guess either one should start pretty early with this kind of carriers, when the baby is just a few months old and then gets used to it, or simply, it works only for kids who prefer to look at mommy/daddy and not so much around.


So I think it was a good experience and also a good lesson that you should not rush into buying expensive things even if it works for others. Maybe if we decide to go after one more kid I’ll try another approach and start very early with it.








No comments: